W.O.M.E.N. in Iceland
Samtök kvenna af erlendum uppruna á Íslandi
Apply for a seat on the board
Are you a woman of foreign origin who would like to step forward and have an effect on the lives of other women of foreign origin in Iceland? Would you like to step forward and participate in empowerment projects and lead discourse in various realms of society regarding integration, rights and responsibilities and active civic participation in Iceland? Would you like to network with other people, agencies/institutions and organizations who share our common goals in working with vigour for immigrant issues, human rights and enriching diverse social capacity here in Icelandic society?
W.O.M.E.N in Iceland is now accepting applications for seats on our board and alternates for our upcoming elections on November 07, 2019 at our Annual General Meeting. We encourage all women of foreign origin to apply for a seat on the board.
The annual general meeting will elect a board of seven women. The board will decide on the division of tasks and functions among the members of the board at the first board meeting after the elections. During the annual general meeting up to seven alternate members will also be elected with the freedom of expression and rights to put forth suggestions to the board and will always be invited to board meetings. If a board member resigns their position an alternate shall take that position. If it is not possible to fill the position on the board with an alternate, an advertisement shall be put on the homepage of W.O.M.E.N in Iceland for candidates and a vote shall be taken at the next general annual meeting.
The Chairwoman and the board have the authority to publish resolutions in the name of the association as long as the resolution is in accordance with the association’s basic principles. All board members serve a 2-year term.
What might be expected of me as a board member or alternate?
– To participate in and actively support the projects that we are currently working on by assisting fellow board members
– Be active in creating awareness about projects, disseminating information and promoting participation among women of foreign origin either in our projects or collaborative projects with other organizations.
– Always safeguard the confidentiality of women with whom we work, fellow board members, projects we are responsible for and meetings we attend with other agencies/institutions and organizations.
– Exhibit a willingness to head up a project in the future if needed
– Be a representative of W.O.M.E.N at meetings and conferences in Iceland and if possible, abroad as well
– Take at least one shift every 4-8 weeks at peer counselling on Tuesday evenings with other members
– Attend board meetings (approximately every 4-6 weeks)
– Take a shift checking email and Facebook page every 7 weeks.
What are the application requirements?
– The applicant must be a woman of either first or second generation of foreign origin living in Iceland and have a burning interest for immigrant issues.
– The applicant must be prepared to commit to the responsibilities which accompany sitting on a board of a charity organization through active participation in the organization’s activities and functions, in order to ensure that responsibility and gratification are shared equally among board members.
– Have the ability to read and speak Icelandic (Does not have to be perfect)
– Have a desire to work on issues concerning women of foreign origin and immigration in Iceland.
How do I apply?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information no later than October 31st, 2019:
*Short summary of your experience and objectives for running for the seat (e.g. what goals you would like to achieve as the member of the board)
Please note that all board members and alternates are volunteers.
For more information about our association and our work please refer to our homepage.